Chlamydia & Gonorrhea 2 for the price of 1 – Home Health Test
Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea are the two most common STDs. Both infections can be symptomless and the only way to detect them is with a test. Early detection is crucial in reducing any long-term consequences that may have a considerably damaging effect on your health.
Chlamydia is an infection caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis. Chlamydia can be contracted through sexual contact and generally shows no symptoms.
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae. It is transmitted through sexual contact and most commonly causes a yellowish discharge in men and is asymptomatic in women.
80% of sexually transmitted diseases are asymptomatic (do not display any symptoms), however, if symptoms do occur, they are likely to present themselves within two weeks of infection.
Symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases may include:
- Painful urination
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Rash on the genitals and/or anus
- Itching or irritation on the genitals and/or anus
- Unusual lumps or bumps around the genitals and/or anus
- Change in color of the male or female discharge
- Abnormal discharge in terms of smell, consistency or volume
- Strong vaginal odor
- Painful erections
You should also consider getting tested if:
- You become sexually active
- You have had unprotected sex
- You are experiencing symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease
- You are entering into a new sexual relationship
- You have received a notification from a previous partner that they are infected
The sample must be collected from the initial stream of urine in the morning and returned on the same day. Do not cleanse the genital area or urinate at least 1 hour prior to collection. If you are concerned about possible exposure to an STI you should refrain from sexual activity until you receive a test result. For some infections, retesting after treatment may be required.