Body Protective Compound 157 (BPC-157) is a peptide that has been recently studied to produce systemic effects on both the brain and the gut, and repair those systems.
In this post, we will discuss the benefits of BPC-157, its mechanism of action, experiences, and where to get it from a quality source.
- Basics Of BPC-157
- Benefits Of BPC-157
- My Experience
- Where To Get BPC-157
- Mechanism Of Action
- More Research
Basics Of BPC-157
Body Protective Compound 157 (known as BPC-157, PL 14736, PL 10, and PLD-116) is a synthetic peptide-based off on naturally occurring peptides secreted by the gut. R
Most studies reported in BPC-157’s benefits have been in animal models, but per my experience and those with doctors I’ve worked with and their patients, BPC-157 seems to have great potential in humans.
The Brain-Gut Axis (BGA) controls how the brain, gut, microbiome, and immune systems interact.
By stabilizing the BGA, BPC-157 may help with:
- Alcohol intoxication (acute and chronic) R R
- Amphetamine toxicity (acutely and chronically), tolerance, and sensitivity R R
- Diazepam tolerance and dependence R
- Dopamine Depletion R
- Helpless behavior R
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia R R R
- Morphine–induced analgesia R
- Multiple sclerosis lesions R
- Muscle weakness and function failure R
- Parkinson’s Disease R R
- Seizures (acute and chronic epilepsy) R R R
- Serotonin syndrome R
- Somatosensory disorientation R
- Tremors R R
Benefits Of BPC-157
1. Repairs The Brain
BPC-157 can protect the brain against hypoglycemic seizures (induced by insulin overdose). R
2. Protects Against Drug-Induced Damage
It can protect the gut from ulceration from chemotherapy drugs. R
Cuprizone-induced demyelination is an accepted way to study multiple sclerosis in animal models. R
3. Restores The SerotonergicTransport System
BPC-157 significantly reduces the rate of serotonin synthesis in the:
BPC-157 increases serotonin synthesis in the nigrostriatal regions:
BPC-157 may improve depression and anxiety by its action on serotonin, similar to that of antidepressant drugs (such as imipramine or nialamide). R
For example, in chronically stressed rats BPC-157 could improve their mobility. R
It can also protect the brain against serotonin toxicity as seen in serotonin syndrome via inhibition of 5-HT2A receptor binding. R
4. Protects Dopaminergic System
For example, BPC157 can reduce repetitive OCD symptoms from amphetamine usage. R
It can also prevent haloperidol-induced supersensitivity from amphetamine usage. R
5. Enhances The GABAergic System
BPC-157 acts in favor of the natural homeostasis of the GABA receptors as well as enhancing the GABAergic transmission. R
It can help with anxiety by enhancing GABA neurotransmission. R
It can also help with withdrawals and tolerance from GABA-based drugs, such as diazepam, making them more effective. R
It also antagonizes alcohol effects, including acute and chronic intoxication. R
6. Reverses Opioid Tolerance
BPC 157 may also act as an effective paracetamol antidote even against advanced damaging processes induced by extreme overdoses. R
7. Protects The Heart
BPC-157 can protect the vascular system.
It protects cells against toxin-induced damage. R
It can protect blood vessels from oxidative stress. R
It normalizes both high and low blood pressure. R
BPC 157 is can also counteract a prolonged QT interval (time between Q and T) from antipsychotic use. R
BPC 157 successfully prevents and counteracts bupivacaine cardiotoxicity. R
It can also help with arrhythmias from electrolyte imbalances. R
8. Accelerates Body Repair
It improves the rate of healing of:
- Burns R
- Eye (corneal injuries) R
- Fistulas (colon, vagina) R R R
- Intestinal anastomosis
- Ligaments R
- Liver (from chronic alcohol intake or Tylenol/acetaminophen) R R
- Muscle R R R
- Nerve Damage R
- Scar Tissue R
- Spinal Cord Injury R
- Tendons R
- Ulcers (Diabetic Ulcers, esophageal) R R
One way it does this is by its ability to increase the activity of the growth hormone receptor. R
It can also increase collagen synthesis. R
BPC-157 has also been shown to improve walking post-injury. R
9. Helps With Allergies And Viruses
BPC-157 may help allergies by preventing anaphylactoid (unrelated to IgE responses) reactions. R
BPC-157 has viral activity on
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
- Dengue types 1-4
- Feline leukemia virus
- Hepatitis A
- Influenza A and ARBO
- LCM virus
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- West Nile fever
10. May Help Irritable Bowel Disease
Similar to cholestyramine, BPC-157 may help with esophageal reflux.
One way it does this is by rescuing sphincter dysfunction.
In rats, higher doses can help with swelling in the gut.
By repairing ulcers, BPC-157 can help with ulcerative colitis.
11. Helps With Ocular Dysfunction
12. May Help Oral Cavity
BPC-157’s anti-inflammatory effects may be a useful alternative for periodontitis.
13. May Help With Urinary Incontinence
BPC-157 may help reduce stress-induced urinary incontinence.
I originally took BPC-157 for my biliary system and leaky gut but found it to have other systemic effects.
I’ve only taken it orally and sublingually and it has helped me with my sleep, cognition, and food intolerances.
I only need very little doses (~50mcg).
I’ve also noticed increased histamine in my gut from it (could be part of the repair process).
I will be trying it soon for my blood-brain barrier issues with CIRS (intranasally or injected).
Some people I know have taken it intranasally or corneally (as eye drops) and it has worked.
Others have reported it significantly helping their workouts, spinal injuries, anhedonia, depression, IBS, anxiety, and Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (to name a few).
Here’s my speculation and what I hope to see research in: I would love to know how bpc157 works on tight junctions in the gut and zonulin-1 (ZO-1) or its effect on the microbiome/microbial byproducts and peptides as it seems to reverse a lot of dysbiosis-related disorders.
Where To Get BPC-157
Sources and anecdotes have been discussed on the BPC-157 Research And Support Group on Facebook.
Alternatives And Synergies
It works well with losartan to protect the liver.
As a drug, it is being developed as Bepecin and is patented by Diagen.
BPC-157 may synergize with capsaicin for pain and gut protection.
BPC-157 repairs have more localized effects when injected (which is good for local wound/tendon healing). R
BPC-157 has been shown to be safe in clinical trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL14736), safe for intestinal anastomosis therapy, and is currently in clinical trials for multiple sclerosis. R R R
In most studies, BPC 157 exhibits a rapid, beneficial effect (since the first day) on a cellular level. R
Corticosteroids may reduce BPC-157’s ability to heal muscles. R
As it is proangiogenic, it could enhance the growth of cancer. R
Mechanism Of Action
- Increases c-Fos R
- Increases c-Jun R
- Increases Collagen R
- Increases COX-1 R
- Increases COX-2 R
- Increases EGR-1 R
- Increases EPAC2 R
- Increases ERK1/2 R
- Increases eNOS R
- Increases FAK R
- Increases GH R
- Increases HP33 R
- Increases iNOS R
- Increases Jak2 R
- Increases KCNC2 R
- Increases MDA R
- Increases NAB2 R
- Increases NO R
- Increases Paxillin R
- Increases RBBP9 R
- Increases Selectin E R
- Increases SLC26 R
- Increases VEGFR2 R R
- Increases V2R R
- Increases WISP1 R
- Increases ALT R
- Increases AST R
- Reduces BMP4 R
- Reduces Leptin R
- Reduces LTB4 R
- Reduces MPO R
- Reduces TXB2 R
- Reduces VCAM1 R
- Reduces 5HT2A R
- The amino acid sequence is Gly-Glu-Pro-Pro-Pro-Gly-Lys-Pro-Ala-Asp-Asp-Ala-Gly-Leu-Val. R
- The main mechanism of action as a nootropic is that BPC-157 works on angiogenesis (repair of tissue) and less neurogenesis.
- In tendons, BPC-157 increases fibroblast growth via phosphorylation levels of both FAK and paxillin (dose-dependently). R
- In collagen repair, BPC-157 stimulates EGR-1 which induces cytokine and growth factor generation and early extracellular matrix (collagen) formation. R
- EGR-1 also increases its co-repressors such as nerve growth factor 1-A binding protein-2 (NAB2). R
- BPC-157 can increase decrease B4 (LTB4), thromboxane B2 (TXB2), and myeloperoxidase (MPO) in the serum and inflamed tissues and increase macrophages activity. R
- Honeybee colonies fed with sugar syrup supplemented with BPC 157 over a short period can help with Nosema ceranae invasions in apiary conditions.